Are you the publisher? Claim or contact us about this channel

Embed this content in your HTML


Report adult content:

click to rate:

Account: (login)

More Channels


Channel Catalog

Channel Description:

Breaking news & local stories from Camden City, Berlin, Laurel Springs and more

older | 1 | .... | 217 | 218 | (Page 219) | 220 | 221 | .... | 320 | newer

    0 0

    He agreed to never seek employment in education again.

    CAMDEN -- A former teacher's aide and coach who had been accused of sexually assaulting a student is on house arrest after accepting a plea deal that saw all of the most serious charges dropped.

    Robert A. Savage, 58, of Stratford, pleaded guilty to a single count of invasion of privacy by recording a sex act without consent. He admitted taking photos without the female's knowledge while she was performing a sex act when she was in her 20s.

    Savage denies any sexual contact with the female when she was a minor but acknowledges they did have a romantic relationship when she was over 18, according to his attorney, Derek A. DeCosmo of the Camden law firm Zucker Steinberg & Wixted.

    As part of the plea deal executed May 22, the prosecutor's office dismissed the 11 other charges, which had accused him of sexually assaulting the female starting when she was 13.

    Judge Kathleen Delaney sentenced him July 21 to 364 days of house arrest with electronic monitoring followed by three years probation. 

    Savage was fired by Gloucester City Junior-Senior High School after his arrest July 29, 2015. As part of the plea deal, he has agreed to never seek employment in education again, DeCosmo said. He said Savage has been doing construction work when he can get it.

    The Camden County prosecutor's office did not return a request for comment on the case.

    DeCosmo said Savage always maintained his innocence.

    "We believed that we had a strong defense to every count, but there is always a risk when a case goes to trial," DeCosmo said. The risk was that Savage could have been sentenced to more than 100 years in prison if a jury found him guilty, the attorney said.

    Savage eventually accepted the plea deal DeCosmo and Assistant Prosecutor Megan Burkhardt negotiated because he wanted to "put the matter behind him," DeCosmo said.

    "He didn't believe that even if he had gone to trial and been acquitted on all charges that his reputation would be restored or that he would get another job in a school district," DeCosmo said. "...He believed it was best for himself and his family to accept the plea offer and move on with his life."

    Rebecca Everett may be reached at Follow her on Twitter @rebeccajeverett. Find on Facebook.

    0 0

    A Chesilhurst nursing home resident was shot after trying to attack employees with a meat cleaver, authorities say.

    CHESILHURST -- A nursing home resident who wielded a meat cleaver and attempted to attack two workers was shot in the leg and apprehended by a police officer, authorities said. 

    Police responded to a disturbance at the B'nai B'rith Chesilhurst House, a senior citizen residential facility, on the White Horse Pike around 4:15 p.m. Wednesday, according to the Camden County Prosecutor's Office.  

    Two employees reported that Daniel McOsker, a resident of the facility, had entered the management office and threatened them with a butcher knife, authorities said. One woman escaped the room as McOsker, who is in his 60s, allegedly held the other at knifepoint. 

    Officers met McOsker in his apartment, where he had fled to after leaving the office. Police safely removed two other people from the apartment and ordered McOsker to drop the meat cleaver, according to the prosecutor's office. 

    When he refused, an officer shot McOsker once in the leg, authorities said. 

    He was taken to Cooper University Hospital for treatment and charged with criminal restraint, terroristic threats and weapon charges, according to the prosecutor's office. 

    The shooting is under investigation by the prosecutor's office. The officer involved has been placed on leave for the time being, as is standard procedure for an officer-involved shooting. 

    Amanda Hoover can be reached at Follow her on Twitter @amahoover. Find on Facebook.

    0 0

    Deanna "DD" Scordo loved her nieces and nephews and had a great sense of humor, her obituary said. Watch video

    WINSLOW TWP. -- Detectives followed multiple leads and tips to catch the two young men they believe are responsible for gunning down Deanna "DD" Scordo, 45, in her family's farmhouse near the Atlantic County line.

    The Camden County prosecutor's office said in a statement Thursday that Tyler Dralle, 20, of Vineland, and a 17-year-old from New Castle, Delaware are being charged with murder in the June 25 shooting. The 17-year-old's name was withheld by the prosecutor's office because he is a juvenile.

    Dralle is being held at the Camden County Jail and his alleged accomplice is at a juvenile detention facility in Delaware, authorities said. 

    Scordo ran Spectrum Rehabilitation, according to her obituary, and lived on her family's large blueberry farm on Bairdmore Avenue.

    In a 911 call around 4 a.m. June 25, her father, Anthony Scordo, reported that he was awoken by two gunshots and found his daughter unresponsive on the floor. He saw two males in black hoodies flee on foot but he couldn't describe them in greater detail to the dispatcher.

    A $5,000 reward was offered to encourage anyone with information to come forward, but authorities did not say whether any of the tipsters will be getting the reward.

    The prosecutor's office said detectives determined Dralle and the Delaware teenager were the alleged killers and the U.S. Marshals Fugitive Task Force arrested Dralle without incident at his home Tuesday. His alleged accomplice was taken into custody and charged Wednesday.

    Judge Edward McBride will determine whether Dralle will be released on bail or held in jail at a detention hearing Friday at 10 a.m.

    Rebecca Everett may be reached at Follow her on Twitter @rebeccajeverett. Find on Facebook.

    0 0

    Police are asking anyone who saw the group of motorcycles prior to the crash to contact authorities.

    CHERRY HILL TWP. -- One person riding a motorcycle was killed and two other people injured in a crash on North Kings Highway Thursday night.

    According to Cherry Hill police, the crash involved two motorcyclist who were riding with a third in the area of Daytona Avenue around 8:40 p.m.

    In front of 1101 North Kings Highway, one motorcyclist collided with a 2005 Lexus ES. The rider died as a result of his injuries, police said.

    The motorcycle that struck the Lexus deflected off the car and hit a second motorcycle, causing that motorcycle to crash, police said. The rider suffered minor injuries.

    The person driving the Lexus also had minor injuries and was treated and released from Kennedy University Hospital in Cherry Hill.

    Police have not released the names of those involved.

    The road was closed for several hours Thursday night as police investigated the fatal crash.

    Police are asking the public to provide information about the motorcyclists, whom they believe were traveling on Routes 73, 295 and 70 before the crash. Anyone who saw the group riding in the area before the crash or witnessed the crash is asked to contact the department's Traffic Safety Unit at (856) 488-7820.

    Rebecca Everett may be reached at Follow her on Twitter @rebeccajeverett. Find on Facebook.


    0 0

    Journey inside the first three finalists in our epic competition

    0 0

    Camden County Police are searching for a man accused of stealing landscaping equipment from a truck. Watch video

    CAMDEN -- Police are seeking the public's help to identify a man seen stealing landscaping equipment in surveillance footage. 

    The alleged theft occurred just after 1 a.m. on July 6 at 214 North 27th Street. A video shows a man take several pieces of landscaping machinery from a truck, eventually fleeing the area on foot. 

    Police describe the suspect as a male with dark hair, wearing a baseball cap, light-colored T-shirt, shorts and a backpack. 

    Officials ask that anyone with information about this suspect or theft call the Camden County Police Department tip line at 856-757-7042.

    Amanda Hoover can be reached at Follow her on Twitter @amahoover. Find on Facebook.


    0 0

    Anthony Sapienza thanked Lt. Kevin Lutz 10 days after mangled crash.

    CAMDEN -- A Camden County Police lieutenant had an emotional reunion Thursday with a man he pulled from the wreckage of a violent traffic accident 10 days earlier, according to a broadcast news report.  

    Lt. Kevin Lutz was on his way to work on the morning of July 24 when he spotted an accident ahead of him on I-295. He pulled over and sprung into action. A man in the wreckage was unresponsive when he pulled him out of the vehicle, according to a police report. 

    Lutz performed CPR until medics and the state police arrived. The victim, identified in a WCAU-TV news report as Anthony Sapienza, credits Lutz with saving his life, according to the report.

    Sapienza personally thanked Lutz Thursday at police headquarters in Camden. Sapienza and his family are also grateful that he will be able to walk his daughter down the aisle of her dream wedding in Mexico this month. 

    The happy ending played out on camera in the report.

    Bill Duhart may be reached at Follow him on Twitter @bduhart. Find on Facebook.

    0 0

    Also charged in the killing is a 17-year-old male from New Castle, Delaware.

    CAMDEN -- Tyler Dralle, 20, one of two males accused of killing a Winslow woman while burglarizing her home June 25, scoped out the farmhouse when he drove his girlfriend and brother to work on the family's blueberry farm for three weeks, the prosecuting attorney said.

    Assistant Prosecutor Peter Gallagher said Dralle and his co-defendant, a 17-year-old from New Castle, Delaware, entered the bedroom where Deanna Scordo, 45, slept, and shot her. He called her "the most vulnerable possible victim."

    Gallagher did not say who detectives believe pulled the trigger, but both are charged with murder.

    Judge Edward McBride ordered Dralle held without bail pending trial at a detention hearing Friday in Superior Court in Camden.

    Supporters of the young man, who was a star defensive back at Buena Regional High School a few years ago, sat on one side of the courtroom. Across the aisle were Scordo's loved ones, a few of whom clutched tissues as they listened to Gallagher describe the killing. They declined to comment after the hearing.

    Dralle did not speak at the hearing, and his only visible reaction to the news he would be held was to bend down, lowering his head onto the table in front of him.

    His public defender, Megan Butler, had argued he should be held on house arrest in Vineland, pointing to the lack of eyewitness evidence that he was at the scene of the crime. She said he denies playing any part in the burglary or killing.

    Gallagher said in court that Dralle and his co-defendant went to the farmhouse around 3:50 a.m. to burglarize it. They got away with $276 in rolled coins, he said.

    Scordo's father, who was sleeping in the house, called 911 and told the dispatcher he saw two males wearing black hoodies flee the house but he couldn't describe them further.

    The Camden County prosecutor's office offered a $5,000 reward, and detectives followed tips and leads to Dralle, the office said in a statement Thursday.

    A witness told detectives that Dralle told him that he and the 17-year-old had shot the woman while robbing the home, Gallagher said, but it's not clear if this statement was made as a tip or during a police interview.

    Gallagher said detectives learned from interviews with people "associated" with the farm that Dralle was familiar with the property because he drove his brother and girlfriend to work there.

    They interview Dralle three times over several days and he changed his story about where he was on the morning in question and whether he had lost his phone, Gallagher said.

    The attorney said he did eventually let police check his phone, and they discovered that he had deleted about 8,000 text messages. With forensic software, they recovered some of the messages and found that Dralle and his co-defendant had been texting about various robberies and guns for months, Gallagher said.

    "This is not a single period of aberrant behavior," he said of the June 25 incident.

    Detectives also determined, using a receipt and surveillance footage, that Dralle used a CoinStar machine to count $90 in coins about five hours after the shooting June 25, Gallagher said.

    When confronted with the evidence, the attorney said, Dralle tried to blame his co-defendant.

    "During his repeated attempts to exculpate himself and get himself out of trouble when he lied to detectives, the person he tried to blame for this was the person's house he was at hours before the murder and who is now, like this defendant, charged with felony murder," the attorney said.

    Dralle does not have serious convictions as an adult, the assistant prosecutor acknowledged, but was charged a few weeks ago with aggravated assault in a Cumberland County case in which he is alleged to have fractured a person's arm with a pipe.

    Butler said he denies that charge as well, but McBride said the police report indicates he admitted to the attack in a recorded statement.

    During the hearing, Butler noted that Dralle and his co-defendant never texted about the specific June 25 incident or made any reference to a shooting there.

    And the person who allegedly told detectives that Dralle mentioned the killing was vague and had no details, Butler said.

    "No witness puts him there that day," she said of her client.

    Butler argued unsuccessfully that Dralle was a good candidate for house arrest because his father is a retired law enforcement officer who would ensure he abides by any conditions of release and makes court dates. She said he had attended college but was currently looking for work.

    McBride sided with the prosecution, noting that he was troubled by Dralle's alleged lies to police, the seriousness of the alleged crime, as well as the Cumberland County incident.

    "We have someone who's allegedly admitted to seriously assaulting somebody two weeks beforehand," he said.

    Rebecca Everett may be reached at Follow her on Twitter @rebeccajeverett. Find on Facebook.


    0 0

    Police are asking anyone with information about the man or similar incidents to call the department.

    GLOUCESTER TWP. -- Police are searching for a man who may have been trying to lure kids to his vehicle Friday.

    Gloucester Township police said in a statement Saturday that a man drove up to a group of juveniles in the 600 block of the Millbridge Gardens apartments in Clementon and offered them lollipops. 

    "He did not attempt to get out of his vehicle but drove closer to them," police said. "The juveniles then left the area."

    The children described the man to police as black, with a white or gray beard who appeared to be in his 50s or 60s. His vehicle was a charcoal gray Chrysler 300 with temporary New Jersey license plates, police said.

    Police are asking anyone who has information about the man or knows about any similar incidents to contact the department at 856-228-4500 or call the anonymous crime tip line at 856-842-5560. 

    Anonymous tips can also be submitted by texting "TIP GLOTWPPD" and the tip message to 888777. 

    Rebecca Everett may be reached at Follow her on Twitter @rebeccajeverett. Find on Facebook.


    0 0

    The suspect swindled the informant in one sale, selling him BB guns and a gun box that held lotion, feds said.

    CAMDEN -- A Salem man is facing federal charges alleging he sold guns to an informant in a convenience store parking lot over five months.

    The informant was working for the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms (ATF).

    Corey Moore, 31, was arrested Thursday on a criminal complaint from U.S. District Court in Camden. He faces a dozen charges of being a felon in possession of a firearm.

    The complaint, authored by ATF Special Agent Joseph S. Daly, alleges Moore sold a confidential informant 15 handguns from July to December of 2016.

    The transactions stopped Dec. 22 when Moore allegedly double-crossed the double-crosser, selling the informant what turned out to be BB guns and a firearm box that contained only lotion, Daly wrote in his criminal complaint.

    The ATF bankrolled the thousands of dollars in purchases, court records show, and paid $1,500 in debts that the informant owed to Moore.

    The ATF has been interested in Moore for at least two years, court records show.

    In 2015, the informant told agents that Moore had a gun for sale, but attempts to set up a purchase using the informant fell through because Moore couldn't get the gun, Daly wrote.

    In July of 2016, the informant contacted the ATF again because he owed $1,100 to Moore and he believed Moore was threatening violence. He said Moore texted him a picture of a handgun and said he "was not afraid to use the firearm to get his money back," Daly wrote.

    The ATF gave him $1,100 in cash and the informant set up a meeting with Moore to pay him back. At that time, while wearing a wire, he asked Moore if he had any guns for sale, Daly wrote. The pair allegedly discussed three guns.

    On July 20, 2016, after arranging a purchase and a time and place to meet via a recorded phone call, the informant met Moore in the parking lot of a convenience store in Gloucester County. As with each transaction, Moore got into the informant's car to make the deal, Daly said.

    However, Moore only had one of three guns he had promised to sell the informant, and he struck the informant when he refused to pay up front for the absent weapons.

    NJ's biggest gun buyback ever

    In the following months, Moore allegedly sold the informant guns in meetings in the parking lot that they set up by text message or phone calls that the ATF listened in on, Daly wrote.

    He noted that one of the guns, a Ruger Model Security Six, had been reported missing in 2014 by New Jersey State Police at the Woodstown station.

    Daly said Moore swindled the informant in their final sale Dec. 22, 2016, when he was supposed to sell the informant three handguns for a total of $2,250.

    It wasn't until the informant met with ATF agents after leaving the meeting that they realized Moore had actually given him two realistic-looking BB guns, 10 rounds of ammunition and a Smith & Wesson firearm box that contained a bottle of hand lotion, Daly wrote.

    The informant called Moore twice and texted him, but never heard from him again, according to Daly's account.

    Moore was arrested Aug. 3 and remains in federal custody pending a detention hearing Tuesday.

    Moore's public defender, Lisa Evans Lewis, was not immediately available for comment Saturday.

    Rebecca Everett may be reached at Follow her on Twitter @rebeccajeverett. Find on Facebook.


    0 0

    Jamie Rahn is the Ninja Warrior based in South Jersey's back yard. Watch video

    CHERRY HILL - A mass of cheering fans in Venice Beach, Calif. called out for a new competitor as they sat beside a famous obstacle course.

    N.J. native Jamie Rahn answered the call as he stepped up to the starting gate, covered head to toe in red and blue paint with lurid green hair, resembling the likeness of Captain Planet. He stared down the hurdles, ledges and ropes that made up the course he'd been familiarizing himself with for the past few weeks.

    It was his first time competing on American Ninja Warrior, a popular parkour and obstacle course based reality show, and he was ready - or so he thought.

    The buzzer sounded and he began the first obstacle, the Quad Steps - a set of four angled platforms competitors must jump between to move forward. It was something he had been practicing constantly for this day and he pinballed his way between each step with ease.

    After the fourth step, he leaped to dismount the platforms and landed on a slope, underestimating the angle. Rahn tumbled backwards into a brown pond of water below as another buzzed sounded off, signaling the end of his short-lived run on the course.

    After his first season on the show in 2011, Rahn would return to Ninja Warrior six more times where he completed the course four times then moving on to the final stage in Las Vegas.

    "That makes such a great story now, because of how well he's doing athletically," said Philip Pirollo, Rahn's close friend, business partner and former parkour coach.

    The 29-year-old Rhan - or as many fans may know him, Captain NBC - is now one of the most recognizable costumed competitors on American Ninja Warrior.

    Meet the athletes who are training the next generation of Ninja Warriors

    He is the co-founder of Pinnacle Parkour Academy, which has three gyms located in Washington, Cherry Hill and Princeton New Jersey, with another in Philadelphia. Rahn can be found working as an instructor at the Cherry Hill location most days.

    A Barrington resident himself, Rhan stands around 6 feet tall and is built, as his students say, "like a super hero." When he's not wearing his Captain NBC outfit tattoos from his days as a tattoo apprentice roll across his chest and down his arms.

    Rahn seems have clear focus on what he wants out of his life, which is to inspire people through art - more specifically the movement art of parkour.

    Both Rhan and Pirollo both designed all four gyms and continue to create the obstacles and equipment athletes use to train in parkour.

    Rahn says his background as a student of architecture at NJIT and his Bachelor of fine arts from the University of the Arts help him realize the new things he can create for his gym to train himself and his students.

    Dressing as Captain NBC, Rahn is one of the few costumed competitors left on American Ninja Warrior. The story behind his super alter-ego stems more from his creative side than anything else, according to Priollo.

    In an attempt to get on the Ninja Warrior during its second season, which ran on the G4 Network at the time, Rahn decided to dress as Captain Planet for this run. But due to fear of copyright infringement from the network Rahn changed the planet emblem on his chest to the G4 logo. Pirollo believes that is what secured Rahn's place on the show for the years to come.

    "(The network) loved that idea,"Pirollo said. "Then NBC picked it up and so he became Captain NBC. So that was a brilliant strategy in terms of marketing. I'm not sure how much of that he was aware of but if you look at it objectively, it was a brilliant strategy in terms of marketing and exposure."

    And while Ninja Warrior may be Rhan's most outward passion, it comes with many of the same traits as what he really loves to do - teach parkour.

    Rhan coaches several parkour classes at his Cherry Hill gym.

    He describes parkour as simply adapting one's body to the environment.

    "Parkour can be walking down the street," he said. My first introduction to parkour was trying to run through a crowd and avoid people. To understand my body and it's momentum."

    Rahn hopes that is what his student will take away from parkour, body and spatial awareness.

    "He is the kind of man who knows what he wants out of his students and never settles for mediocrity," said Kim Wienches, a coach at Pinnacle and Rahn's finance.

    "Jamie always pushes you but he encourages you at the same time," said Matt DeAngelo, one of Rahn's students. "He shows you what you need to do and he helps you along. He shows you can improve." 

    Rahn has been training in parkour for nine years and said he is glad he's able to do what he enjoys.

    "Teaching and instructing people [in parkour] just became my passion," Rhan said. "I am still able to help people in a positive long lasting way and I'm able to do it creatively.

    "There's a saying in parkour," he says. "Be strong to be useful."

    Justin Decker may be reached at Follow Justin Decker on Twitter @Justin_A_Decker. Find on Facebook.

    0 0

    A special open house on Saturday celebrated Camp Roosevelt's 90th anniversary.

    ALLOWAY TWP. -- Camp Roosevelt welcomed the public this weekend for a very special event -- celebration of its 90th anniversary.

    The camp on Watsons Mill Road was named after president Theodore Roosevelt and has been serving community organizations since 1927.

    Probably best known as a Boy Scout camp, Camp Roosevelt has been the site of the New Jersey State Grange Youth Camp for many years, Salem County Girl Scouts and the Royal Rangers who have or still hold programs at the Alloway Township site.

    Saturday's open house was filled with activities.

    There were displays of Scout memorabilia and blacksmithing demonstrations. Other events included wall climbing, BB shooting, carnival games, hay rides, boating and even tomahawk throwing.

    Camp Roosevelt is owned and operated by the Garden State Council Boy Scouts of American which serves, Gloucester, Salem, Cumberland, Cape May, Camden and Burlington counties.

    Bill Gallo Jr. may be reached at Follow Bill Gallo Jr. on Twitter @bgallojr. Find on Facebook.

    0 0

    Police say the missing girl was last seen in her home around midnight.

    RUNNEMEDE -- Police are searching for a missing 13-year-old girl. 

    Gabrielle-McWilliams.jpgGabrielle McWilliams. 

    Gabrielle McWilliams was last seen at her Runnemede residence just after midnight Sunday, Rennemede Police said. 

    She was wearing orange pajama pants with foxes on them and a gray sweatshirt with "LONDON" written across the front. 

    Police ask that anyone with information regarding McWilliams' whereabouts contact them at (856) 939-0330. 

    Amanda Hoover can be reached at Follow her on Twitter @amahoover. Find on Facebook.

    0 0

    The former employee alleges that her boss's racism made the bank a hostile place to work.

    BERLIN -- A former bank employee has filed a lawsuit against her once boss and the company, alleging that "pervasive" racial discrimination forced her to leave her position after two years with the bank.

    Milah Blunt, a Chesilhurst resident, filed the suit Wednesday in Superior Court in Camden County, alleging that Republic Bank did little to nothing to prevent Berlin branch manager Michael Mikstas from using racist language and discriminating against her.

    "Such conduct is shameful and has no place in society, let alone in the workplace," the suit states. 

    Blunt is the daughter of Chesilhurst Mayor Michael Blunt, her attorney's office confirmed.  

    The suit states that Blunt worked as an employee with the Philadelphia-based bank chain for two years, beginning in a Marlton location before transferring to the Berlin location last September. 

    During her time at the Berlin bank, Blunt, who is African-American, allegedly observed Mikstas use "racist, derogatory, and insulting statements" that were sometimes directed to her, including the statement, "if it were not for us (white people) you'd still be chasing your food with a spear."

    He also allegedly said that black people were "lazy," and "always want something for free." 

    The suit also accuses Mikstas of implying that Puerto Rican employees had "multiple baby daddies" and that Blunt was related to other black customers, although she did not know them. 

    Blunt was also passed over for raises or promotions during her time at that branch that her suit claims were given to white employees. Mikstas also allegedly gave white employees more flexible schedules while Blunt was given hours that conflicted with previous commitments.  

    The bank, the suit states, lacked an "effective" anti-harassment policy, and instead employed one that "existed in name only." When Blunt reported the allegations to human resources, the company did not adequately handle her complaints, the suit states.

    Blunt attempted to handle the hostile environment on her own, arriving at the location on a day off in June to speak to Mikstas, the suit states. The two got into an argument, during which Blunt called Mikstas a racist and he told her to resign immediately, according to Blunt's claim.    

    The alleged behavior violated the state Law Against Discrimination, the suit claims. It sites disparate treatment and hostile work environment discrimination due to race as well as retaliation and improper reprisal as violations. 

    A representative from Republic Bank was not familiar with the suit and declined to comment Friday afternoon. 

    Mikstas, reached by phone Friday, said he was not aware of the lawsuit or any discrimination it pertained to, and declined to comment further without reviewing the allegations. He did note that there had been "issues" with Blunt as an employee during her tenure at the branch. 

    Amanda Hoover can be reached at Follow her on Twitter @amahoover. Find on Facebook.

    0 0

    Terry J. Walker, 32, must serve 85 percent of his term before he is eligible for parole.

    WOODBURY -- A Camden man was sentenced to seven years in prison Friday after pleading guilty to sexually assaulting a child, according to the Gloucester County Prosecutor's Office.

    Terry J. Walker, 32, admitted that he improperly touched and had oral sex with a child under age 13 in Washington Township in October 2012.

    In handing down the sentence, Superior Court Judge M. Christine Allen-Jackson cited Walker's prior criminal record, which includes domestic violence, violation of parole and unlawful possession of a weapon.

    Walker is a single parent of two and holds a college degree in early childhood development, the prosecutor's office noted.

    He must serve 85 percent of his term before he is eligible for parole.

    Matt Gray may be reached at Follow him on Twitter @MattGraySJT. Find the South Jersey Times on Facebook.


    0 0

    The alleged incident took place in Camden Saturday night. Watch video

    CAMDEN -- Camden police are searching for a person who allegedly struck a patrol car and an officer with an ATV and fled the scene. 

    The incident occurred around 11:14 p.m. Saturday night, according to Camden County Police. Detective Kenneth Egan and Officer Nicole Berry were patrolling the area near Broadway and Mount Vernon Street when they saw a man with an ATV attempting to tamper with equipment at a gas station, police said. 

    The two exited their cruiser and walked toward the suspect, ordering him to stop. The man allegedly ignored the police, and drove his ATV toward the cruiser, striking the passenger side door. 

    That door hit Berry and injured her, police said. When Egan ran from his door, around the vehicle, the suspect allegedly struck him and knocked him to the ground.

    The man then fled the area on his ATV, according to police. 

    The two officers were taken to Cooper University Hospital for treatment and released. 

    Police describe the suspect as a black or Hispanic male of medium complexion. He was driving a black, four-wheel ATV with a square body style.

    Police ask that anyone with information about the incident contact them at 856-757-7042.

    Amanda Hoover can be reached at Follow her on Twitter @amahoover. Find on Facebook.


    0 0

    Police in Winslow Township allegedly recovered the drugs, cash and gun in a vehicle parked near a school.

    WINSLOW -- Police recovered more than three pounds of marijuana, $6,000 in cash and a stolen handgun in a vehicle near an elementary school early Sunday morning. 

    Just before 3 a.m., an officer on patrol noticed an idling vehicle in the Manor Hall Section of Sicklerville, with two people slouching in the back seat, according to the Winslow Township Police Department. 

    When the officer approached the vehicle, he saw a woman light a cigar, but could smell marijuana, police said. He asked the woman to put out the cigar, but she allegedly refused.

    When he questioned the two about the smell of marijuana, the vehicle's two occupants denied having any, police said. The officer then allegedly saw a handgun resting in plain view in front of the driver's seat. 

    He called for backup, and when additional officers arrived, they arrested the two people, identified as Dean Williams and Brianna Henry, police said. 

    A search of the vehicle recovered 3.5 pounds of marijuana, $6,625 in cash and a loaded handgun reported stolen out of North Carolina, according to police. 

    Williams, a 32-year-old from Upper Darby, Pa., and Henry, a 21-year-old from Sicklerville, both face charges related to possessing of over 50 grams of marijuana with the intent to sell, possessing drugs within 1,000 feet of Winslow Township Elementary School Number 3 and illegally possessing a firearm, according to police. 

    The two were taken to Camden County Jail to await a hearing. 

    Amanda Hoover can be reached at Follow her on Twitter @amahoover. Find on Facebook.


    0 0

    Here are the last four finalists in our search for the state's top pizzeria

    0 0

    Police said the man tried to lure the Haddon Township girl into his car Sunday.

    HADDON TWP -- Police are searching for a man who allegedly tried to lure a girl on a bicycle into his vehicle over the weekend. 

    haddon-twp-luring-suspect.pngPolice are searching for a man accused of trying to lure a girl into his car. 

    The incident took place on the 200 block of Addison Avenue Sunday, according to Haddon Township Police. There, a man driving a tan or gold four-door sedan pulled up alongside a girl riding a bike and told her he had been sent by her parents to pick her up, police said. 

    The girl declined the ride and rode away, according to police.  

    Police describe the suspect as a white man with dark hair, aged somewhere between his late 30s and early 40s. He was clean-shaven, wore silver glasses and had wrinkles in the corner of his eyes and above his nose, police said. 

    The victim reported he wore a orange, short sleeve collared shirt, had hairy arms and a silver ring on his left hand ring finger, police said. 

    Police later obtained surveillance footage of the alleged car and believe it is 2003 gold or tan Hyundai Elantra GLS. 

    Haddon-twp-luring-car.pngPolice believe the man drove this the car, which is possibly a 2003 gold or tan four-door Hyundai Elantra GLS.  

    Police ask that anyone with information related to the incident contact them at at (856) 833-6209. 

    Amanda Hoover can be reached at Follow her on Twitter @amahoover. Find on Facebook.


    0 0

    A local man claimed police retaliated against him after he filed a previous suit.

    BERLIN -- A local man received $2,500 to settle a federal lawsuit he filed against Berlin borough police and a Collingswood cop claiming they retaliated against him after he filed a prior lawsuit against the department.

    Open public records advocate John Paff reported the settlement this week.

    John Kleinberg alleged in his May 2016 suit that after he filed a 2012 federal suit against Collingswood police officer Darren Lomonaco and Berlin officers alleging they violated his 1st, 4th and 14th Amendment rights, officers began retaliating against him.

    In 2013, Kleinberg said he mailed a letter to his ex-wife requesting emancipation of their son. His wife had a restraining order against him at the time and Berlin Borough police arrested Kleinberg for violating that order. He was imprisoned for five days. Kleinberg was later found not guilty of violating the order, according to his suit.

    Kleinberg goes on to describe a series of other incidents he viewed as retaliation.

    Also in 2013, Lomonaco allegedly confronted Kleinberg for having a new roommate in his residence. Lomonaco and Kleinberg are neighbors, according to the suit.

    ATV driver flees gas station after striking cruiser

    After that verbal exchange, Kleinberg claimed he received a summons in the mail to have a window fixed on his property. That summons was dismissed, according to the suit.

    He was later issued summonses for having ice on his sidewalk and for playing music too loud, but both of those were dismissed, he stated.

    In a 2014 incident, Kleinberg said he was fixing his girlfriend's car in his driveway when a borough officer issued him a ticket for driving without a license. As a result, Kleinberg's license was suspended for a year and a half. He claimed this was further retaliation.

    In his 2016 suit, Kleinberg accused borough police, Lomonaco and Collingswood police chief Kevin Carey of malicious prosecution, false arrest and false imprisonment. He sought "an amount in excess of $75,000" in damages.

    The defendants admitted no wrongdoing under the terms of the settlement with Kleinberg, according to documents obtained by Paff.

    Matt Gray may be reached at Follow him on Twitter @MattGraySJT. Find the South Jersey Times on Facebook.


older | 1 | .... | 217 | 218 | (Page 219) | 220 | 221 | .... | 320 | newer